The Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act requires us to inform you how we use, disclose and destroy personal information we obtain from you. We are committed to protecting your privacy and will ensure that your personal information is used appropriately, transparently, securely and according to applicable law.
I, the undersigned, hereby consent to the following:
- My personal information may be collected, processed, recorded, used and must be safeguarded during the rendering of financial services to me by ABE Medical (Pty) Ltd – FSP 51238 (hereinafter referred to as the FSP).
- The FSP may also add to my personal information, with information received from other product providers and third parties in order to offer a more comprehensive and appropriate service to me.
- The FSP may verify, share and disclose my personal information to their product providers and third-parties whose services or products they use in order to adequately and appropriately render financial services to me.
- The FSP may also collect and processes my personal information for the FSP’s own marketing purposes to ensure their products and services remain applicable and appropriate (other products promoted within Company basket as part of the Needs Analysis or shortcomings in clients profile).
Furthermore, I understand that:-
- I have the right to access my personal information which the FSP holds.
- I have the right to ask the FSP to update, correct or delete my personal information on reasonable grounds.
- Once I object to the FSP processing my personal information, the FSP may no longer process my personal information, within reasonable parameters and unless to conclude a transaction or outstanding business.
- Should I wish to withdraw my consent to process my personal information, I must do so in writing, addressed to the FSP Information Officer.
- Once I withdraw my consent for FSP to process my personal information, I understand that the FSP is still obliged under other legislation to keep the information for 5 years after termination of the relationship between the FSP and myself.
- The FSP may disclose my information where they have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of applicable legislation or where it may be necessary under any other law.
This Privacy Notice describes how ABE Medical (Pty) Ltd uses, discloses, retains and protects your personal information, in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) and other relevant laws. The Privacy Notice applies to any website, application, form, document, product or service which references this Privacy Notice.
POPIA deﬁnes personal information as “information which relates to an identiﬁable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identiﬁable, existing juristic person”. This includes, but is not limited to, your name, sex, gender, address, contact details, identity number and medical or health information.
- Who we are
In this Privacy Notice, any reference to the company refers to ABE Medical (Pty) Ltd 2016/341185/07 with FSP 51238.
- How we collect information
We collect personal information about you and any other person whose details you provide to us in accordance with the relevant laws, either:
- Directly from you when we gather information from you in order to render a financial service to you; when you complete a product or service application form, electronically, telephonically or by way of a hard copy;
- Indirectly from you when you interact with us electronically by way of our website, apps, or social media channels;
- From other financial product providers or third-party financial parties to whom you have given us permission to obtain information from.
We require your personal information in order to provide you with our products and services. Where you fail to provide us with the necessary information, the appropriateness of the advice may be compromised. It is therefore, important that you provide complete and accurate information. You are responsible for informing the Company if your information changes.
- Collection of information by third parties
Owners or information system administrators of third-party websites or online portals, may collect personal information about you when you use these links. The Company does not control the collection or use of personal information by third parties and this privacy statement does not apply to third parties. The Company does not accept any responsibility or liability for third-party policies or your use of a third-party app, platform or service.
The Company may also use certain social networking services such as Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram and Twitter to communicate with the public and clients. When you communicate with the Company through these services, that social networking service may collect your personal information for its own purposes. These services may track your use of our digital channels on those pages where the links are displayed. If you are logged into those services (including any Google service) while using our digital channels, their tracking will be associated with your proﬁle with those service providers. These services have their own privacy policies which are independent of the Company’s privacy policies and practices. Please ensure that you fully acquaint yourself with the terms of any such third-party privacy policies and practices.
The Company will only provide data to third-party information exchange services, for example, the Financial Services Exchange (Pty) Ltd, trading as Astute, with your consent.
- What information we collect
Your relationship with the Company determines the exact nature of the personal information the Company processes, and the purpose for which such personal information is collected and used. However, in most cases, if we are handling your personal information as part of our role as an authorised financial services provider, the personal information we may process includes the following:
- Information about you – for example, your name, identity number, age, gender, date of birth, nationality, occupation, lifestyle, current status of health, medical history and any existing conditions of each person insured. In the event that you make a claim, we may also collect personal information from you about the claim and any relevant third parties. We acknowledge that information about your health is special personal information. Note that we will use that information strictly in accordance with applicable laws and for insurance purposes (including assessing the terms of the insurance contract, dealing with changes to the policy and/or dealing with claims).
- Contact information – in some cases, for example, we may receive your email, address, phone number and postal address.
- Financial information – we may process information related to payments you make or receive in the context of a financial product. We may process information regarding your income, expenses, assets, liabilities, investments, retirement and other ﬁnancial provisions in the context of providing ﬁnancial advice and intermediary services.
- Contractual information – for example, details about the policies you hold and with whom you hold them.
- Health information such as smoker status or medical-related issues relevant to a policy or a claim you have made.
- How we use your information
We have regulatory obligations, including compliance with anti-money laundering legislation, to process your personal information. This includes verifying your identity or the identity of your beneﬁcial owner and/or controlling persons. We are also required by various laws to maintain a record of our dealings with clients.
In order for us to provide clients with the ﬁnancial products and services they have requested and to notify them of important changes to such products and services, we need to collect, use and disclose the personal information of clients, their representatives, controlling persons of entities, business contacts, staff of clients and service providers.
To the extent permissible under applicable laws, the Company may use your information:
- To provide you with our ﬁnancial products and services, and maintain our relationship with you;
- To provide you with ﬁnancial advice and intermediary services;
- To conclude and administer your financial product;
- To execute a transaction in accordance with your request;
- To assess, check, and process claims;
- To meet our contractual obligations with you or take steps necessary for the conclusion of a contract with you;
- To comply with legislative and regulatory requirements, including codes of conduct and requirements of our regulators (including the Financial Sector Conduct Authority and Prudential Authority);
- To undertake credit reference searches and/or veriﬁcation;
- For the detection and prevention of unlawful activity, fraud, money-laundering and loss, including as part of party due diligence required under applicable laws and in terms of the Company’s policies;
- For purposes of online login and authorisation;
- To record and/or monitor and have access to your telephone calls (i.e. voice recordings), correspondence and electronic communications to/with us (or any of our employees, agents or contractors) in order to accurately carry out your instructions and requests, to use as evidence and in the interests of crime prevention;
- To maintain the security of our digital channels and systems;
- For audit and record-keeping purposes;
- For purposes of proof and legal proceedings;
- Sharing your information
The Company will only share your personal information with third parties if there is a legitimate reason to do so. We may disclose the personal information you provide to us to the following entities:
- Financial Product Providers and other third-party service providers who are involved in the delivery and/or administration of ﬁnancial advice products and services and as required for the operational running of an authorized financial services provider
The Company will not sell, rent, or trade your personal information to any third party.
The Company will disclose information when lawfully required to do so:
- To comply with any relevant legislation;
- To comply with any legal process; and
- By any regulatory authority (for example, the Financial Sector Conduct Authority or Prudential Authority).
- Transfer across borders
Some of the persons to whom we disclose your personal information may be situated outside of the Republic of South Africa (RSA) in jurisdictions that may not have similar data protection laws to the RSA. In this regard, we may send your personal information to service providers outside of the RSA for storage or processing on the Company’s behalf.
However, we will not send your information to a country that does not have information protection legislation similar to that of the RSA, unless we have ensured that the recipient agrees to effectively adhere to the principles for processing of information in accordance with POPIA.
- Security and storage of information
The Company intends to protect the integrity and conﬁdentiality of your personal information. The Company has implemented appropriate technical and organisational information security measures to keep your information secure, accurate, current, and complete. However, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us online and you do so at your own risk.
Where third parties are required to process your personal information in relation to the purposes set out in this notice and for other lawful requirements, we ensure that they are contractually bound to apply the appropriate security practices.
Your personal information will be held and used for as long as permitted for legal, regulatory, fraud prevention and legitimate business purposes.
- Right of access to information
The Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) coupled with POPIA offer an individual the right to access information held by a public or private body in certain instances. This right can be exercised by contacting the Information Officer.
- Correction of your information
In accordance with POPIA, you have a right to correct any of your personal information held by the Company. This right should be exercised by contacting the Information Officer.
- Objection to processing of your information
In accordance with POPIA, you may object to our processing of your personal information on reasonable grounds relating to your particular situation, unless legislation provides for such processing.
The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws aimed at the protection of children and in particular the protection of their personal information.
- Particulars of the Company
Should you have a complaint or concern regarding the processing of your personal information, your complaint may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Company is an authorized ﬁnancial services provider.
Our physical address is 21 Maidenhair Cres, Jeffreys Bay 6330.
- The Information Regulator
Whereas we would appreciate the opportunity to ﬁrst address any complaints regarding our processing of your personal information, you have the right to complain to the Information Regulator, whose contact details are:
The Information Regulator (South Africa)
JD House, 27 Stiemens Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001
P.O. Box 31533, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017
Complaints email: complaints.IR@justice.gov.za
General enquiries email: email@example.com
|What is POPIA and the ABE Medical Privacy Statements|
The majority of the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) sections came into effect on 01 July 2020, with institutions being given 12 months to ensure that their processes comply with the requirements of the Act. That 01 July 2021 deadline is now fast approaching.
POPIA seeks to protect the personal information of both juristic and natural persons when being processed by a responsible party such as ABE Medical. Personal information is any information which can identify a person or a company, including employee information.
A person or a company can be identified in numerous ways, which can include:
If you can tell who the person or company is, it is personal information.
Certain special personal information is highly sensitive and requires additional protection. Examples include information about a person’s health, religion, and biometric information such as facial recognition, photographs, and fingerprints.
One of the main motivators to protect the data we collect, is to avoid fines and regulatory action. However, it goes beyond the law and compliance. There are many other reasons to be responsible with personal information, with or without POPIA. This includes client trust, our good reputation and reducing the risk of data loss that may give our competitors an advantage over us.
Ensuring you protect personal information is one of the first steps to protect your business and your reputation.
What is ABE Medical saying to the public about protecting personal information?
ABE Medical has a privacy statement for each product house and an employee privacy statement. It is in these statements that ABE Medical make commitments to its clients and employees of exactly what it intends doing with the information it collects.
ABE Medical’s privacy statements inform clients and employees of the following:
· Who we are and how the client or employee can reach us, if they believe we acted contrary to our commitments made in this statement.
· What information we collect from them and other sources we might collect information from.
· What exactly we will be doing with the information, for example using it to administer their policy and benefits.
· Any third parties we may share information with, including those outside of South Africa.
· What information and when we may share personal information inter-group, i.e., the purpose of group-wide services that we may offer from time-to-time.
· What rights clients and employees can exercise over the information they provided to ABE Medical; and
· The details of the Information Regulator should the client wish to lodge a complaint regarding the process followed.
The ABE Medical Privacy Statements can be viewed on the ABE Medical website at https://www.abemedical.co.za/protection-of-personal-information-summary.
Should you have any POPIA related queries at this stage, please forward same to firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to our Compliance Guidance Officer.
ABE Medical Compliance team